Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Where's the packhorse?

I just can't wrap my brain around how much crap I need to pack up and get ready for our trip on Friday. And I'm not trying really hard. I'm trying to get all the errands done this week and hoping that Thursday I can use my packing list to do a nice quick job of it. How does one even pack for 3 kids for 10 days?

First, there's the diapers, 6-8 diapers a day for 3 kids for 10 days. Just bringing a whole box. Wipes? We use a box of 700 each week. I guess I'm bringing a whole box. Laundry detergent, well thank goodness we can do laundry because then I don't have to pack 10x3 kids worth of laundry. Then there's the weather unknown. Is it going to be hot every day? Do we finally get to wear out the summer clothes that fail in San Francisco weather? Or is it going to be rainy some day, foggy ever, whatever?

Then there's the equipment. We have to bring toys, but how many? Books, videos, cameras, computers, pack n plays to sleep in, I mean why not just pack up the whole house? I do have a pretty large minivan. Then there's strollers, wagons, highchairs, baby pools, sand toys, life jackets......

I suppose the older they get the less we will have to bring. I have this fantasy that this house we are renting will be so great that we'll return year after year but I wonder. I hope they can play in the river, that would be a great change of pace. I hope the town is nice to wander through and has a park or two for the kids to play in while we eat lunch or something. I hope I get some time to read the apparently 8 books I will be bringing to read. I'd better not stay up late reading and make myself exhausted though.

I really hope this feels like a vacation. We will still have to cook for ourselves, clean, entertain the kids, put them down for naps and bedtime, bathe them, soothe their nightmares, and generally run a household, it will just be a different one. With fewer stairs. Let's hope that makes all the difference....

4 comments:

  1. First off, Congratulations on the new pregnancy! That is wonderful to be able to enjoy a singleton! I hope that you have a great week and have packing. Instead of bringing all of the diapers with you and wipes could you just buy them when you get there? You will probably find that you won't need as many toys either because they will be playing in the river or just outside. I would try to keep it simple, now looking back on vacations of ours. Cute kids in the costumes and great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you can do laundry, I'd pack as few of clothes as you can get by with and just plan to do laundry a few times while you are there. plan layered clothes if you can so that might make less you have to bring. sounds like a fun time though!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gosh! I missed your big announcement last week but CONGRATS!! Holy cow! that is awesome!

    We took a road trip from FL to NY last year with the trips.. it was a little crazy, but still fun:) I just found something called "peadpod" tents that I really wish I had for the trip- instead of taking packnplays, these things fold down to the size of deflated beach balls. I also agree with not taking too many toys, just a few "special" ones. If you are going to be in a new place, they will be pretty entertained just by taking in a new setting.. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and hope everything goes very well! And I hope the wee ones get some quality naps in :)

    ReplyDelete